February 27 2024

TrekToday

An archive of Star Trek News

Trek Fan Event Highs And Lows

3 min read

Last Friday, over five hundred lucky fans attending the Star Trek fan event hosted by Mythbuster’s Adam Savage were treated to the release of the new teaser trailer, an exhibition of props and costumes, a Q&A with cast members, giveaways, a street naming ceremony and never-before-seen footage from Star Trek Beyond.

PostersandActors052316

The event was held on Stage 31, where the original series was filmed 1966-1969. In attendance for the Q&A session were J.J. Abrams, Justin Lin, Chris Pine, Karl Urban and Zachary Quinto.

Fans attending the event received a swag bag, which included a pass to the world premiere of Star Trek Beyond, which will take place July 20 at this year’s San Diego Comic Con. The film will be on an outdoor IMAX screen at the Embarcadero Marina Park South, and it will be scored live by the San Diego Symphony Orchestra. There will also be appearances by Star Trek Beyond cast and crew members.

STFE-1-052316

“I am thrilled to celebrate the premiere of the film together with the fans at Comic-Con and excited for everyone there to experience Michael Giacchino‘s incredible score played live,” said Justin Lin in a press release regarding the premiere.

UrbanPineQuinto052316

Some fans though, were left out of the fun. There were too many tickets given out and over two hundred fans were left out in the cold, not receiving so much as a swag bag after standing in line for hours. One of those left out had been a video contest winner, while another couple had flown in from Atlanta. It was a sour note in an otherwise fun event and one hopes that for future events, either a larger venue is chosen or less tickets are distributed. It’s a pity that these fans stood in line for nothing.

For fans of a certain fan film, Axanar, there was interesting news regarding the lawsuit from J.J. Abrams. A video, courtesy of Treknews.net, shows the announcement that the Axanar lawsuit would be “going away” soon.

“A few months back there was a fan movie, Axanar, that was getting made,” explained Abrams, “and there was this lawsuit that happened between the studio and these fans and Justin, and I’ll tell the story because he probably wouldn’t, was outraged by this as a long time fan. We started talking about it and realized this was not an appropriate way to deal with the fans. The fans should be celebrating this thing like you’re seeing right now. We all fans of Star Trek are part of this world. And so he went to the studio and pushed them to stop this lawsuit and now, within the next few weeks, it will be announced this is going away, and fans would be able to work on their project.” Below, a video of the announcement is provided, courtesy of TrekNews.net.

Paramount/CBS confirmed that that discussions were in progress, according to Michael Hinman of 1701 News, who received an email from John Wentworth, Executive Vice President of Communications for CBS Television Distribution. “We’re pleased to confirm that we are in settlement discussions and are also working on a set of film guidelines,” said Wentworth.

Nimoy052316

A street on Paramount’s lot was renamed Leonard Nimoy Way in honor of Leonard Nimoy. Nimoy’s widow Susan and his son Adam were there for the unveiling. The below video, courtesy of Geek Culture, shows the Nimoy tribute shown during the fan event.

 

About The Author

©1999 - 2024 TrekToday and Christian Höhne Sparborth. Star Trek and related marks are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. TrekToday and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with CBS Studios Inc. | Newsphere by AF themes.